CASE STUDY OF OPENSHIFT !!
Making the deployment easy, Industries are adopting automation. Today, I am going to introduce you to one of the most advanced tools of the DevOps world i. e. OpenShift. OpenShift is the finest automation tool work on several other tools to solve many complex use cases of Industry.
In this article, we are going to discuss OpenShift and the industry use cases of OpenShift.
Table of content
- What is OpenShift?
- What does OpenShift used for?
- How OpenShift work?
- Advantage of OpenShift.
- Case study: Cisco
What is Open Shift?
RedHat OpenShift is a Kubernetes container platform that provides a trusted environment to run enterprise workload. OpenShift helps you to develop and deploy applications to one or more hosts.
OpenShift enables efficient container orchestration, allowing rapid container provisioning, deploying, scaling, and management. The tool enhances the DevOps process by streamlining and automating the container management process.
What does OpenShift use for?
Businesses depend on IT to drive innovation in the digital economy. It is very important for industries to eliminate unnecessary downtime that often occurs between coding and deployment of applications, so organizations can deliver the improvements in business demands in weeks or even days, rather than months.
The key to faster innovation lies in enabling people, processes, and technology to work seamlessly together. This means accelerating application development and increasing operational efficiencies. But more importantly, enabling collaboration between the application development and IT operations teams to expedite innovation and time-to-market.
Red Hat’s OpenShift solution empowers both application development and IT operations teams to innovate faster. Developers will be able to deliver high-quality software quicker, while operations teams can focus on setting up reliable, standardized, and secure runtime environments.
How does OpenShift work?
Moving from one environment to another Container is the technology used. This could be from a developer’s laptop to a test environment, from a staging environment into production, and perhaps from a physical machine in a data center to a virtual machine in a private or public cloud.
While containers can be thought of as a next-generation approach to virtualization, they share one downside with virtual machines. Given that containers can be deployed in far higher numbers than virtual machines, managing provisioning, deployment, tracking, and repairs of multiple containers across your IT architecture can be extremely challenging.
RedHat OpenShift, make container use viable for enterprise applications. It uses Kubernetes as a base layer over your Machine. OpenShift hides almost all the complex integration of Kubernetes.
It also integrates with different automation tools like Jenkins(for CI/CD pipelines), Kubernetes, Docker(container) to automate development structure.
Advantage of OpenShift :
- Innovate and go to market faster: OpenShift enables your development team to focus on what they do best. Now, developers are free from spending excessive time managing and deploying containers. This helps them to speed up the development process and get the product faster in the market.
- Accelerate application development: Deploying and managing containers at a scale is a complicated process. It cut down the time of managing the container. This improves the companies productivity and speeds up application development.
- Enterprise-grade, container-based platform with no vendor lock: Consider the case of a company with worldwide manufacturing facilities that implement a container platform tool. If the company shifts its production approach to a process that requires it to change to a new operating system — one that isn’t supported by its containerization platform — the company will face the expensive task of redoing its containerization orchestration on another platform.With a vendor-agnostic open-source platform, users can migrate their container processes to the new operating system quickly — while avoiding the extensive costs often involved in migrating from a proprietary operating framework.
- Self-service provisioning: This self-service provisioning helps improve developer productivity by allowing your development team to work with the tools they are most comfortable using — speeding up the development process by enabling faster creation and deployment of applications. At the same time, OpenShift allows your operations staff to retain control over the environment as a whole.
Case Study: Cisco :
Cisco is a leading IT industry best known for its networking products. Headquartered in California, Cisco develops, manufactures, and sells networking hardware, telecoms equipment, and other IT services and products. The company was founded in 1984 by Leonard Bosack and Sandy Lerner.
Cisco’s success depends on its ability to quickly deliver innovative IT products and solutions to customers. Delays can cost the company business. To encourage speed to market and improve satisfaction, Cisco needed to keep its 1,000+ developers fully engaged in designing and building applications. They guard against high employee turnover, low productivity, and slow response times.
To meet the demanding requirements, Cisco partnered with RedHat to build its Lightweight Application Environment(LAE). Running on the OpenShift Container platform, it supports 100+ applications that powered a variety of business functions and gave developers on-demand access to the infrastructure, operating system, middleware, and system functions to develop applications without any manual provisioning.
The new LAE platform has become a catalyst for innovation and progress, enabling Developers at Cisco to get what they need, when they need it. It has reduced time-to-market, streamline infrastructure using containers, and increased operational efficiencies.
Now the developers don’t have to wait for the months for the project to be provisioned. The developers push a button and the service is provisioned within a matter of minutes. More productivity means customers get innovative products and services faster. The solution reduces demands on limited IT resources and gives developers more time to focus on creative projects, increasing employee satisfaction.
In the above case study of Cisco, we come to know how Cisco get benefitted by using OpenShift.